Ideal Saint-Valentin gifts for someone who is learning French
I want you to be honest with me … do you love Valentines’ day? Or do you secretly hate it? 😉 While I’m not the biggest fan, living in “the city of love” 🇫🇷 has forced me to adapt.
Whatever your relationship status is or Valentine’s Day plans are … I’ve got some essential vocab to get you in the mood:
Joyeuse Saint Valentine = Happy Valentine’s Day *
Ma puce = my (little) flea
Mon coeur = my heart 💗
Un câlin = a hug 🤗
Tu me manques = I miss you
Une rupture = a breakup 💔
Il faut qu’on parle = We need to talk
And if you’re after some tunes to create the perfect romantic (or anti-romance) ambiance, I’ve got just the thing for you.
Check out my playlist on Spotify: L’amour. There are some breakup songs — for those of you nursing a broken heart.
I know finding useful gifts to practice French is challenging. In this article, I will help you find useful, fun and interesting gifts related to the French language. Bye bye boring and horrible Saint Valentin’s gifts. No lover ? No problem, you can gift them to yourself !
Here you go with my personal selections.
Posters in French
- How to swear like a native speaker: Poster to swear like a local
- The dreamer poster: make your 100 dreams come true before you die! Dreamer poster
- The 100 things you should do before you die. In case you don’t have a list already, why not have a list in French? 100 things to do before you die.
- If you or your friend is a fan of movie, this poster with the 100 most important and must-see movies of all time can be a nice gift. 100 movies to watch before you die
- If you (or your friend) are wine lover, while visiting the fair of the independent winegrowers association, I’ve found the best gift ever: Poster about wine, grapes, maps of French wines, Argentinian wines, How to choose your wine and based on your cheese, wine and yoga,… La carte des vins-svp
Decoration in French
- If you are trying to help someone learn French in a fun way, this gift might be nice as it helps people to create sentences on their fridge. It’s time to write poetry in French on your fridge. Magnetic words in French
- Buy some light for your friend. This is a French company I discovered on Instagram and they create amazingly cute and customizable candles. I love them. Bougie personnalisée végétale by BougiesVolige on Etsy
Books in French
- Les monsieur Madames d’Amazon.fr : Adam Hargreaves
They are available in many languages. There are very cute and little, easy to read books for kids and adults.
You can personalize your gift and choose one character that defines your friend the most. For my boyfriend, who is French and very grumpy, I’ll certainly choose the Monsieur Grincheux.
What about a bit of geography and French
- Map of French wine
The best way to become smarter when you drink wine. You’ve probably experienced that but the French love to talk about regions when they talk about wine. Map of the French wine.
- Scratch-off Map of French specialities. If you are a foodie, you’ll enjoy discovering new specialities. Foodies map
Activities and games
- There are many games available in French such as Trivial poursuit or Monopoly and I found this one very useful and original. If you don’t know what to do today, it will help you find inspiration and new ideas. And you, what do you do do today? 100 activities.
Please note, some of these links are affiliate links. This helps support my business and allows me to continue to make free content. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for your support! 💕
I hope this helps. If you found value in this article and would like access to my exclusive content, join my weekly newsletter where I share tips and tricks to learn French! You won’t find the content of my newsletter anywhere else and you will have direct access to me and my expertise.